Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Escape

Dedicated to Domestic Violence Month

Escape


You came into my life when I had nothing...
When I thought I was nothing...
When the nothingness consumed me...
You told me I was one of the most beautiful creatures you've ever seen...
When I was down...
You became my foundation...
My strength..
My backbone...
And although you did a lot of things I didn't condone...
But I want you anyway....
I remember the days where your good outweighed my bad...
Just seeing you..
Made my heart glad..
Made my soul smile...
And made my spirit fly...
I decided to put up with all the lies...
Because I thought...
Well I thought you would change
If I changed some of my "nagging" ways...
You didn't though...
But I want you anyway...
I saw the change in you...
Not for the better, but for the worse...
The first time you raised your hand to me
And left a hand print on my face..
Moments later you apologized...
Said it wouldn't happen again..
I believed you...
Maybe you were just having a bad day?
So I stayed...
Because I want you anyway...
No amount of make-up can cover these bruises..
No amount of soaking in a tub can ease this pain...
I'm not just physically broken...
My body is damaged...
My soul is dying...
My spirit is crying...
With every broken promise of you'd never hit me again...
I want to reach out...
But I can't...
You came into my life when I had nothing...
Beat me like I was nothing...
Until one day..
I became nothing...
It was too late for me to escape...

Lady R © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment